The Holland Methodist Church will be taking part in the Daniel Fast that will be taking place from Wednesday, 26th to 29th February, 2020.
SOME REASONS TO FAST AS A CHURCH
1. Fasting helps to bring and keep us in the presence of God as we seek God for a special purpose.
2. It helps to empty us of what does not belong so that we may be filled by his Spirit.
3. It helps us to humble ourselves before God and declare our reliance on God as sovereign.
4. Fasting helps to focus our attention on those things for which we are praying.
5. It helps to remove ourselves from the natural, everyday activities, and enables us to give ourselves fully to our spirit focused goals or desires.
6. It helps to remove the distractions of the everyday routine that sometimes hinder the effectiveness of our prayers.
7. Fasting helps in the control and discipline of our lives.
8. It prevents us from being enslaved to habit. 9. It helps us to keep physically fit and prevents us from becoming overweight. By choosing to go without we gain something of greater significance or consequence.
10. Fasting helps to release the purposes and power of God in our lives, in the lives of those we are praying for, and in the life Church.
PRAYERS THAT CAN BE USED DURING THE FAST
An Evening Prayer
To you, O God, we offer the coming day’s devotion of prayer and fasting. Thank you for the example of Jesus. Grant that we may die to ourselves, but make us new in Christ. Feed the starvation of the soul, of thought, of will and after quiet rest of sleep, open our mouths to praise you in the morning. Through Jesus Christ your Son, our Light and our Strength. Amen.
A Morning Prayer
How great and gracious you are, God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit! We pray for your world – for righteousness, justice , peace, healing, hope and salvation. May the whole world know amazing grace and salvation through Jesus Christ our Lord, the Savior of the world. We dedicate today to the glory of your grace, to the good of your children, in the power of the Holy Spirit and in Jesus’ name. Amen.
A Mealtime Prayer
Thanks be to you, O God, for all your gifts, and especially those we shall not enjoy today. Thanks be to you for the inner nourishment of your presence and for new vigor in our prayer through this sign of fasting. Thanks be to you for family, children, friends, neighbors, church family, near and far. Thanks be to you for Jesus, the Bread of Life. Amen.
A Prayer for Breaking the Fast
To you, O God, we have offered this day of prayer and fasting. We pray for a world wide Pentecost, but especially in our Leeward Islands District and in each of our Circuits. Through the gift of your Holy Spirit empower us to be faithful ‘Andrews’ and Faith-Sharers of the good news of Christ Jesus. Grant the power of your Holy Spirit that we may serve you faithfully in the world, through Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior. Amen.
(Prayers adapted from World Methodist Evangelism)
|Soup||Green Salad, Avocado|
Vegetables of Choice
Vegetables of Choice
|Fruits & Green Salad||Spinach,
|Fruits, Bread, soup & Baked Potato|
|Dinner||Garden Salad||Baked Potato & Carrot||
|Snack||Soup||Raisins & Peanuts||Almonds/
PLEASE NOTE THAT – Fruits & Vegetables can be fresh, dried, frozen, juiced or canned.
Nuts & Seeds – including but not limited to cashews, peanuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, sesame.
Foods can be cooked or used in their natural state.
Water & Tea (preferably bush tea).
This Menu is only given as a guide (suggested menu) items can be substituted based on availability, so you are free to make adjustments as and when necessary. N.B. The Fast is as far as possible free from ‘Rich Foods.’ Soups should be free of meat. Notice that bread is only on the last day as a transition